Friday, February 15, 2013

One of my favorites so far.. Melaka, Malaysia (World Heritage City)

Melaka is a glorious little town.. I LOVED it SOO much!!  I could definitely see myself going back. I got there via bus, and when I arrived at the bus station, I took the local bus into the city.  There were soo many people and SOO much traffic as I was getting into Red Dutch Square, in the center of town. The day I arrived was a holiday and it was also the Monday after the New Year weekend... So it was crazy! 

I only stayed 2 nights unfortunately, because I am meeting a friend to travel to Indonesia with in Singapore, my next stop. The hostel I stayed at was called Rooftop Guesthouse.. and it was AWESOME!  It is owned by a family. I was welcomed by the son, who showed me all around this beautiful accommodation. I stayed in the 4 bed dorm... The beds were actually beds!  Not bunk beds (and I ended up having 3 amazing roommates, more info to come)! The food on the table in the kitchen was all complimentary as well.. and it was legit food.. bananas, crackers, bread, and anything the mum happened to make that day.. she would home make something new every day.. while I was there, she made quiche and English muffins.. which were both AMAZING!

I took full advantage of my first day.. it was crowded, but I went all over.. I started with going to watch the sunset.. I had no idea where I was going, but I just followed the Norfolk along the river through the middle of town for about a 20 minute walk, and ended up at the shore with a beautiful view of the sunset.. a local fisherman and I were the only people there.. it was soo great.

After, I just started walking around.. they have these little bicycle taxis that are COVERED in flowers.. and blast music.. usually Gangnam Style to be honest.. of course. And at night they are all lit up with lights as well. Its really hilarious.

There are ancient ruins in this city, a pirate ship, a Dutch square, canals, and a really long cheap shopping street called Jonker Walk... It really took a lot to not buy everything in sight.. it's a good thing my bag can't fit anything lol. But I did find some cheap singlets AND I bought a stereotypical Asian shirt.. can't WAIT to embarrass myself with that at home.  :)

I was on my own all night but I had such a lovely time, sometimes it's just nice to be alone. I can't figure out what it was, but I felt soo happy that night. :)  I also tried quail eggs on a stick!  They were lovely!  I also had this frozen lemon flavored popsicle in the shape of an egg thing. Hah, I guess it was an egg kind of night for me.. Later on I walked along the canal/river and then headed in around 11:30 for bed.  At night, Melaka is literally painted red with lanterns, flags, and lights all throughout the city.  I don't know if it is all the time or if it was because of the Chinese New Year, but it really looked beautiful. 

The next morning I met my other roommates!  Jamie (Ireland), Heather (America), and Kazushi (Japan)!  We spent the whole day together!!  We decided to just walk around.  

We headed to the street full of temples first.  Heather and I ended up meeting and going along with this local around who wanted us to follow him.. Jamie and Kazushi followed as well. It was soo awesome!  This guy took us all over.. took us to all the temples and different picturesque areas, all while taking photos of us and with us. it was hilarious!  I couldn't stop laughing.. in all the photos you'll see of me, the smile is really me in the middle of giggling. He gave us oranges and candy because that is tradition for the new year, which was sweet. Later on when we went back to look at the photos.. in every picture he isn't even smiling lol bit when we were following and talking to him, he was full of them!  Hah.. really funny. That was an awesome experience.. I'm still laughing about it.

We walked down Jonker during the day, it was less crowded than when I walked around it at night.. and then wecontinued to just wander around the rest of the city during the day.

That night we went to this free music show I was told about while buying my bus ticket to Singapore, at Discovery Cafe. It was a blast!  Afterward, we went to this famous Satay (meat on a stick with good sauce on it) place, which always has an hour long line.. we went at around 11:00 and sire enough there was still a line! We met some locals while we were in line and ended up sitting with them as well.. it was soo much FUN!!

I just seriously loved everything about my experience in Melaka.. it was soo great and fun and I was soo happy the whole time. The next morning was goodbyes and then Singapore!

<3

I just left Malaysia.  Melaka was definitely my favorite city I went to, out of the 3 cities I visited in this country.














No comments:

Post a Comment