Friday, February 15, 2013

KL, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I came to Kuala Lumpur with Rich, who was at my last hostel in Penang. I ended up staying 4 nights, unfortunately, because you definitely don't need that many for KL.. but I decided to stay that long, because I figured that it would be pretty crowded trying to get from city to city and trying to find a cheap hostel because of the Chinese New Year...
well..
turns out..
it wouldn't have been.

Oh well! 

I had an AWESOME time in Kuala Lumpur, and it was because of the company around me.

I arrived with Rich, and he helped me find my hostel, which we didn't end up finding lol. We walked all over the area that we KNEW it was in, but didn't find it. So we went to his hostel (we booked at different times and therefore, different hostels), and asked them for directions. They told me it was basically right where I came from.. I definitely had my doubts though. So Rich and I exchanged Facebook names, to maybe meet up at some point while we were both here, and I was on my way.

I followed the receptionists direction and sure as shit, it led me to a small sign with my hostels name on it!  Figures.. but something good that came of all that wandering was that I found some bubble tea shops! Well rich and I ended up meeting back up after dropping our stuff off.. we literally walked all over the city!  Through Chinatown and a smaller market, we walked to the palace, which ended up being lit up with really colorful lights, so it obtained the name Technicolor Palace for the remainder of our time together. There is a big grassy area just in front of it that gave a great view and we sat there for about an hour just chatting, it was great. Then I asked him how far the Twin Patronus Towers were, and he said about a 10 minute walk (see, he's been in KL before)... About 45 minutes later, we made it to the towers!  They were gloriously lit up, it was pretty cool. On our way back, we hit up a local Indian restaurant, where all the food was room temp and sitting out for hours.. but we didn't care because we were soo hungry! 

It was such a great night, Rich is good company, and it marked the beginning of our 4 day adventure in KL!

The next day I spent with Jazz, a girl I met from my hostel, we were bunk bed mates and got along crazy well!   We did a little shopping in China town, she had some things to pick up for her fam in Australia, and I needed some tanktops, or singlets, as they call them.. we got some pretty great deals, and I learned a lot about bartering, just by being around Jazz as she was buying things.
Then it was time for a beer, we headed to the Raggae Bar around 3:00 lol, where Rich was staying, as I was to meet him there anyway because we planned on seeing a movie later on.. welp, that didn't happen. We met some guys at the table next to us, one from New Zealand and the other from Canada.. then Rich showed up (if I haven't said it already, he's from England). So there we were.. and we found out what happens when an Aussie, an American, Canadian, a Kiwi and a Brit walk into a bar... You end up drinking for 12 hours.  Though, we did stop for dinner and a shower at one point too.. it was such a fun night, later on we met Soo many other backpackers too, it was crazy.

The next day Jazz left.  :(  We had breakfast together and then said our goodbyes. I then met up with Rich and we had lunch, walked to these gardens in the city, went to the really posh mall by the towers, walked around the area surrounding it which had an awesome 360° view of the city along with a water fountain, and then ended the day with a cocktail in the SkyBar which had an amazing view of the towers.

The next day, we went to Batu Caves, which is this area with quite a few temples and caves with monkeys!! That was exciting:) except there are a TON of steps in order to get into the caves.. it did give a nice view though!  And when we got up there... There were no monkeys!!  But then, just as we were talking about it, they started coming down the cave walls!!

After, we went back into the city and looked at the Technicolor Palace to see what it looked like during the day, and then later on we went to the theater to see Les Miserables.  It was good!

One night we also ate at a street food place where you pick raw meat, and then chuck in in boiling water that is in the center of the table in which you sit. It was pretty dang cool!!

I also tried Cendol..  it's shaved ice, coconut & coffee sauce, these green slimy jelly things, chocolate ice cream, and kidney beans... It was really weird, but surprisingly delicious!

Then it was time to say goodbye...

It's hard realizing you will probably never return to some places, and when you say goodbye, you have to say goodbye to them forever..

Rich walked me to the metro station, but then we said goodbye  :(  and I was off... The Kuala Lumpur BTS bus station is basically a legit airport. It's crazy..

<3

On my way to Melaka now!
Then it's off to Singapore.

Ps - totally stayed in a 24 bed dorm.. biggest dorm by far.. and it wasn't too bad!










No comments:

Post a Comment