Monday, February 4, 2013

A True Thai Food Experience: Kata Beach, Phuket, Thailand

Before you all get crazily immature..  Phuket is pronounced poo-ket. Not the other way you may be thinking...
Sorryyyy.

After Bangkok, I headed to Phuket.  It's seen as just a tourist place, but I'm trying to make my way down to the islands, so I decided to come anyway. I ended up staying at the cheapest hostel I could find on hostelworld.com and it only cost 190 Baht (that's under $6 per night). It was called Rumblefish Adventure Inn and was above a scuba diving shop by Kata Beach (the quieter beach on Phuket)... I also found later on in my time there, that many many Russians go there on their holiday!

Any who, I met a Canadian, Neil, right away along with a girl from Sweden, Jenny, and a guy from Belgium, Tim.  Tim and I went to Thai Food Seafood for Donner that night, and then we all went out for drinks. Saw tons of ladyboys - I'm sure you can guess what they are.. these gals are much more accepted here than at home.. some of them are really pretty.. others.... After we left that loud place we went further down the street to a bar that was MUCH more chilled and just played pool the rest of the night! 

Neil and I decided that the next day we would go on a tour together to Koh Phi Phi. Which you'll hear about in my next blog entry:)  And that night, my first night, I went out to dinner with Tim, to Thai Food Seafood.. which is pretty much the name of most Thai restaurants around here, but when we say, Thai Food Seafood, everyone seems to know where we're refering to.. because it is brilliant!! It was soo good!!! And it's where I at dinner everynight I was there!  The servers really got to know us too. Tim is in his last month of travel.. he says he is detoxing before he goes back home to Amsterdam. He's been all over Southeast Asia and Australia.

Yesterday and today I went to the beach with a girl I met at my hostel, named Jenny. She's from Sweden and she's awesome!!  We got there around 11 and had breakfast on the beach.
...I want to take a minute to explain how they work the food along the beach. What they do when we order; they call someone somewhere else, and get it delivered by a guy on a moto (scooter).  It's really quite funny actually.. we ordered mango shakes, which is a mango smoothie with no dairy, and they made that straight away, but then we ordered ham and cheese sandwiches, and it took about 30 minutes, and then a dude on a moto showed up with our order.. it may not sound like much, but it's a big beach and we found that system quite funny.

I have to take a moment to express just how amazing their street banana pancakes are.. they are more like a crepe, a thin pancake wrapped around a cut up banana. They lather it in coconut oil, coconut butter and sauce, and with the crispness of the edges, it is seriously fantastic!

After a few days Jenny and I had to say goodbye, we meant to go out to eat to Thai Food Seafood one last time, but then her transport came early  :( but maybe other made it easier.. she was going on a scuba diving trip, and I was to head to Koh Tao the next morning.

I met with a few others from my hostel after she left, Ling from Singapore, and Daniel from Australia.  We went out to eat..  NOT to Thai Food Sea Food.. aaand other was hands down the spiciest meal any of us have ever had. Even Ling said she had grown up with spicy food, and my peanut curry was the spiciest thing she's ever had. Hah we had a true Thai food experience.. We spent that hour of eating literally sweating sweating our asses off. At one point we maybe even started tearing up lol. We could kinda tell that the venders were kinda laughing, and they brought us a bucket of ice which really helped actually!  Then when it was time to pay, it seemed a bit low lol. But it was such a good and awesome experience.. I must say though.. if I never have anything that spicy again, I won't complain!

After, they talked me into coming out for a bit.. I was hesitant because I had to catch a bus the next morning at around 6am.  We ended up finding a bar that was on top of a building and it had a pool! Unfortunately I didn't have my bathing suit on, but Daniel and Ling did, so I sat on the edge with them. The drinks were quite expensive, so afterward we ended up going to the beach and turned out we spent the rest of the night there just hanging out, watching the stars, went onto a longtail boat and one point, and then some puppies showed up!!  So we brought them on the boat with us lolol.

It was such a great night!  But after about 30 minites of sleep that night, I was definitely tired the next day!

<3

Next stop:  Koh Tao!





No comments:

Post a Comment