Thursday, October 11, 2012

The weirdest, most interesting, and intriguing experience so far.... Passport Lisbon Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal.
Passport Lisbon Hostel.
Gattaca?

First off.. To find the hostel, we walked around the city for about 45 minutes to an hour at around 11:30pm when we got into Lisbon...  Just to find that it is right on the main central square of Lisbon... then we didn't know how to enter.. it's literally an unmarked door on the front of an old building. There was a little square sign to the right of the door. We looked around for a way to get it because when we turned the door knob it felt like it was going to fall off lol. There was a key pad to type in a room number to get buzzed in, but we didn't know what to press, and I continued looking around when all of a sudden o spotted a little Passport Lisbon sticker next to a botton.. I pressed it, and we were buzzed in!

When we were finally in the building, I closed the door and it was pitched black hah!  There was no light!  I was looking for my phone to use as a flashlight when Leslie got it to work.. but really she didn't do anything, because they're senser lights!  Awesome!

I saw a sign that said, "Passport Lisbon Reception 4th Floor," so we headed up there and half way up Leslie noticed an elevator to our right.. but it wasn't a normal elevator.. it's like a slide the door open - slide the door shut elevator lol. I didn't take it, but when Leslie got to the 4th floor she said there was no door.. it was just a platform that moved up and down the wall, and there was no barrier keeping you separated from the wall... Hah!  

4th Floor Reception: 
The woman at reception must be the most unorganized woman I've come across yet lol. It was hilarious. She took my information, and wrote down our check in and check out times on a sheet of paper that we were to tag our beds with (first time for everything)! 

Then she took us up to our room. To get into our rooms, you use your fingertip and swipe it across a pad.. Sweet! I felt like I was in GATTACA! It didn't read her fingerprint though, so she ran upstairs to get a key and directions to get our fingerprints to work. She messed with it for about 10 minutes, and it wasn't working correctly, so  she just gave up and took us in the room.

There's an AWESOME little community room within the 2nd floor rooms once we got passed the fingerpad.. it's like a really big apartment with a lot of dorms/rooms throughout. There's a flatscreen TVs, leather couches, a guitar, speakers, a stereo, encyclopedias, books, bathrooms and showers for girls exclusively, and another keypad to get into our actual dorm.  It is sweet!

When we got into our dorm (the part with our beds), there was a guy laying on his bed just listening to classical music.. it was a rather nice and hilarious soundtrack to this experience haha.  When the receptionist told us which beds were free, she pointed to different ones each time lol. So we just put sheets on the ones that looked free.

I may not have explained this to the degree it deserved and maybe it doesn't sound weird when I put it into writing, bit it was literally hilarious.. the most unique hostel experience I've every had. With all the fingerprinting and codes and buzzers, I can't help to thing GATTACA lol it's great.. weird, but awesome.. we're only spending one day in Lisbon.. but mann.. after this experience I'm pretty pumped to see what other experience will be had here.

<3

Oh.. I also keep forgetting to add: university students in Portugal wear long black capes like in Harry Potter.. like Hogwarts students without scarves! It's awesome!
Aand I will try and get better photos of them, this one is from far away.. and also I'm throwing in views of the square from my dorm too. :)










1 comment:

  1. It's like the lighthouse story all over again! Don't have more fun than we did on our trip! ;)

    ReplyDelete