Monday, October 15, 2012

Madrid!

Madrid is soo big compared to the past few cities I've been to! It's the capital of Spain.

We met up with my friend Pedro and he showed us the nightlife of Madrid  on Saturday night. & mann does it go late!  Yesterday we slept in, and had lunch in the city around Plaza del Sol and just walked around and did a little shopping.  Plaza del Sol is a huge popular square where they would have protests, it's in the center of the city with restaurants, stores, and many buildings surrounding it. It's where they do new years eve like in time square in New York from what I understand. There is a tradition that when the clock strikes midnight, they eat 12 grapes and make 12 wishes with each grape for the new year!  I thought that was pretty cool. Maybe I'll try to do that this year! 

While we were walking around and going into shops, there was one where the worker came out and gave us a free flower they had made out of what looks like recycled paper. It was soo simple, but soo sweet and made my night!  We went in and the store was filled with hand crafted jewelry. It took soo much for me not to buy anything. It's truly been my most favorite store I've been to yet. Then it started to rain on us, so we headed back to Pedro's.

Today we woke up and joined a free walking tour that met in Plaza Mayor, which is the old main plaza. It's a big open area with buildings surrounding it, and a statue in the middle. And it's only meant for people!  Not vehicles, which is very nice. We saw someone dressed as spiderman.. and its funny because this guy was not skinny or built, by any means so it really made us laugh (photo at bottom). For the tour, we walked all around and learned a lot about the history of Madrid. Our tour guide was Irish, and suuper awesome. She was so theatrical and animated that even if the subject was boring, I wanted to hear about it.  So I've decided that I think it would be very beneficial to my teaching, that when I come back, or over the summer, I take an acting or theater class! To help me to be more animated in the classroom for my students. During the tour, we learned a lot about the past kings of Spain & the Spanish Inquisition, and different buildings, and places around town.

After, we got lunch and I finally got a salad!  It was wonderful!  As dressing they give you olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper, and you just put it on as you like. Also, on the salad had pickled asparagus on it! Soo interesting, and really good actually!

As we walked around more we headed toward the palace, cathedral, and these statues near it. the statues were meant to be on the palace, but the queen at the time was afraid that they would fall off the roof and kill her, so they placed them within view of the palace instead.

We then went to the Congress building.. beautiful, and the park across the street!  The leaves changed a bit and we got to see some fall!!!  It made me feel soo happy! And the sky was soo blue, so it made the leaves pop even more! It was such a beautiful day!!

As we were walking through the park, we saw a building made of all glass! And there was a lake outside ignore where there were the biggest ducks I've ever seen, aaaand sunbathing turtles!  Made me miss my little guys at home..

Also.. I've seen more buckeyes in Spain than I ever have back home.. and Ohio is suppose to be the buckeye state!!

There is soo much music everywhere!  As soon as I stop hearing one saxophone player, I turn the corner and there's an accordion player, then after the next turn there's a guitar player then a trumpet player! it's kind of like a soundtrack to the city!

On our way back to Pedro's, we went past the Prado, which is an art museum.. we didn't go in though, our budgets can't handle that lol, and went to see some statues around the city of Roman Gods.








No comments:

Post a Comment