Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Munich!

In Munich, we are staying with a friend, Philipp.  He is great, and took us all around the city our first night here. We probably walked for about 2 hours in full, and got to see much of the city by night! He gave us quite the tour!  The English Garden, which is bigger than central park, ice river, fire river, and the Angel of Peace statue, which had a gold angel on the top.  When you looked down the column, Leslie noticed that the statues at the bottom, guarding it, had wine bottles in their hands!  Hah!  It was soo funny!  By the end of our walk, I felt like I should've tipped Phillip, it was soo good!

The next morning he made us brezls, it was soo nice! They are pretty much hot pretzels to us back home, they have it here a lot for breakfast on the weekends. We took a free walking tour at 10:45. Our guide was hilarious!  He was Brittish, and told many jokes.  We watched the Glockenspiel at 11, which is very overrated lol. It's these statues of people that move in circles up on a tower of I think city hall? It's on Marienplatz square. We walked all over, through the market, which unlike many other cities is actually expensive, saw a cannon in the side of a building still from WW2. They actually still find a bomb somewhere in the city about once a month. That's soo crazy to think about. We also learned that Munich has 0% crime. The guide took us around different pubs that were famous in the city. And told us a lot of history of Munich. He actually used to be a history teacher he said.


It was incredibly cold and Leslie and I still wanted to go to Dachau Concentration Camp.  So.. we were rude and left the tour early:( and it was hard to make the choice because we were really enjoying it, but it was just so cold and we needed to get to Dachau before they closed at 5.

When we got out to Dachau Concentration Camp, it was.. just like all the horrible pictures.. there was a gate that said "Arbeit macht frei" which means work will make you free. Thus alone was incredibly hard rivalled through, knowing this wasn't the case for the people in this camp. They still had one set of buildings that the people stayed in, they had torn down the rest. In the buildings, they had what the prisoners used to sleep on, their toilets, and where they could wash.  They also had the bunker where they put prisoners (who may've actually done something wrong).  The Crematoriums were open too, that was especially hard to see and imagine what once went on there.  It was incredibly emotional experiencing everything today.  They had a museum there too, a really big one. It was very hard, but very educational. I can't say I liked going through this concentration camp, I don't really think anyone can say that, but it was a really good experience, and I think everyone should experience one.

It was quite a sad last day for Leslie!  Bit when we went back to Philipp's we made dinner, Pasta Carbonara! I am getting much better at cooking and learning soo much because of this adventure!  I'm pretty pumped about it. I'll be expanding from salads and sandwiches when I come home now!

Today I packed up and headed out to walk more around the city during the day.  I am leaving leaving for Stuttgart tonight, and I must say, I think there's much of Munich I did not see.. I'll just have to come back!
Staying with my friend Nadine who I met when I was in Australia, and have not seen her since our holiday in Cairns!  I'm soo excited!!

<3 M

Ps - I really wish I remembered my German from high school and college!





No comments:

Post a Comment