Sunday, November 11, 2012

Stuttgart, Germany

I spent 2 weeks in Stuttgart with my friend, Nadine who I met when I was on holiday in Australia, and her roommates, Darvid, Andrea, Thomas, and Johanas. I had an AMAZING time!!

The Wednesday I arrived, they cooked a traditional meal after they were done climbing, it was sour kraut and sausage. After the main meal, they brought out dessert, which was gorgeous! Andrea made the chocolate look really awesome :) Over the next two weeks I had many homemade meals here and they spoiled me soo much! And at the end I made them American macaroni and cheese with green beans:)

The next day I went to Uni with Nadine.  I sat in on 2 of her classes.. one was in German, and the other was in English!  I got to meet a few of her friends and see what college in Germany was like... Pretty much the same as home. Lecture after lecture. BUT at the end of class, they knock on the desks/tables as a sign of thank you or applause to the Prof, I thought that was pretty cool. and I think all my students should do that for me at the end of class ;) Hah jkjk. but really...

On Friday, I went to handball with Nadine at her Uni... That was quite the experience!  I didn't have any idea what it was before I went! And now? I still kind of have no idea lol I was just going with the flow!  Afterward, we went out with some of her handball friends. Aaaand it snowed the next morning!  Aahh!! It was soo cold. Luckily, it never snowed again after that.

The next night Darvid got his guitar out and played and we all sang along. It was an awesome jam session and soo much fun:) Something about their living room that I want to do with mine one day is that there is no tv in it!  It's soo great to hang out with friends, and really hang out with them.. without constantly looking at a tv. Instead,they had a record player and stereo. So we would just hang around a lot, talk and listen to music. It was perfect.

I also went to the city while I was there, twice! Once with Nadine to walk around and see sights, and the other time was to shop with Andrea, for Halloween things. She also needed pants and I need a jacket and boots. We succeeded in finding Halloween stuff, but not the pants, jacket, or boots.. my pickiness took over.

For Halloween, Nadine and I were spiders!  We dressed all in black, with black makeup, she drew spiders on our faces, and we put spiderwebs all over ourselves!  It was great!

In my last weekend there, Nadine hurt her finger in handball, so I got to visit a German hospital with her.  Then we went to this really cool town called... W..... It had a bunch of awesome traditional German buildings/houses in it, and then we got some German bakery. 
After, we went to a handball friend's house warming party. It was just like any house party at home but with tons and tons of Germans!   I was worried about not being able to socialize, but luckily I got to meet some amazing people who could speak English very well!  One of the perks to German education, they're required to learn English too. Though, I'm not sure if they all like this. But it definitely makes it easier as a traveller.

During the rest of my time in Stuttgart, I ate a lot of Halloween gummies, as much ice as I could, was introduced to Looping Louie (a very fun and funny game that I need to find it back home or order it from Germany), had a bretzle, lots of cold cuts, cooked Mac and cheese from scratch, met a lot of new and awesome people, and made some new friends:)

On the last night, well I should mention first that Thomas and Darvid picked up Nadine's new couch earlier in the day (cost 10 euros from a secondhand store, hell Yeah)!  And! They so wonderfully placed it right in front of the bedroom door! Well after I climbed over it and packed up all my things, Thomas and I were out sitting on it in the hallway talking about how it was really a perfect place for it ;) and just hanging out. Then Johanas joined us, and Darvid, then a beer joined each of us, then Andrea and Nadine when they got home! Each grabbing chairs as they joined. It was such a good night hanging out with friends. I wasn't expecting to all be able to hang out on my last night, but I was really hoping for it... And it was perfect. They made Glue Wine, which is a Christmas wine that you heat up and put herbs and fruit in.. and it was delicious! 

I feel soo lucky and blessed to have been able to stay with them and for them to be able to have me. They are all such amazing people and I don't think I could have had a better experience.

Thanks again :)

<3




No comments:

Post a Comment