Sunday, November 25, 2012

Hamburg

I woke up and had breakfast with Luisa yesterday, a cappuccino & eggs with feta, and then had another cappuccino! 

I did the free walking tour at 1 in the city center. I tell ya, these things are the best!  It was fun, the guide was British and really funny, it got pretty cold near the end of it, and it was insanely foggy the whole day but thebguide   I met 2 people, Shae from Australia and her couchsurfing host Felix! Mann, these people are everywhere! I love it, I love couchsurfing. They were awesome and after the tour we got a kabab together, which was flippin delicious! We bid each other goodbye and based it on fate if we are to meet again.

Later on Luisa and I cooked some pasta, then enjoyed a pina colada, some wine, cheesecake, then some Bacardi and gummie candy throughout the night with her friend Sabastian!  It was such a good night full of laughs, smiles, friendship, pizza and music! Before we knew it, it was 5am!  So naturally, we then stayed up till 6 lol.. and then didn't wake up until after 12 today Hah! 

After we got going we went to breakfast around 1:00 (13:00). Breakfast in Germany is cold cuts a lot. Cold cuts are like slices of cheese, cucumbers, and some sort of clicked meat. Where we would generally put this between 2 slices of bread to make a sandwich, here they first butter or put cream cheese on the bread or roll, then started layering the goodies on, when you're done you don't cover it with another piece of bread but eat it as is with the meat cheese or cucumbers on top. I like it :) 

Afterward, we headed to these Scandinavian seamen's churches, where sailors would Hinton church after their long journeys, and there are little markets and TONS of food to buy there outside each of the church buildings.  It's really close to the harbour too, so after battling the insane amount of people at these markets, we headed to St. Michels church to go up the tower and have a 360° view of the city! We hung out inside a bit and saw the church, then went to the top of the tower... IT WAS FREEZING!  But really awesome and fun:)  We had a great view of the sunset when we got to the top, and of the harbour and city. It was clear today, unlike yesterday when it was really really foggy!  Then we headed back, I had to pack up my stuff and we had to say goodbye:(  I always hate this part about couchsurfing.  But we did plan a trip for some summer in the future to Finland, Norway, Sweden, Iceland and the northern caps.. so we'll see each other again then :)

I'm on the train now, listening to Christmas music, getting into the Christmas spirit. It's going to be tough without my family and I will miss them an incredible amount, but it will be ok too.  Even in times that I get sad, it doesn't have to be a negative thing, it's just a feeling that will pass, and I know I will be experiencing really good Happy and different times here as well.. who knows.. maybe I'll even experience new ideas and things to bring home with me for next year!

Something that's really become apparent to me while travelling, is that there is no wrong way to do something, just a different way of doing it. And I love that I'm learning soo many different things throughout this experience.

Some things I've learned today:
- Germans (Luisa and Sabastian) like to have me try to say words in German and then laugh at me when I'm totally off on the pronunciation lol <3
- They have 2 Christmas days PLUS Christmas Eve in Germany!  - we need to get on this way of doing Christmas! 
- There're more I just can't think of them right now...

First day in Berlin tomorrow!!  Aaahh!! I'm soo stoked!!

Also, I think I may buy myself a little stocking..

<3 M







No comments:

Post a Comment