Sunday, September 30, 2012

Barcelona.. Me Encanta Barcelona!!

Today we arrived in Barcelona, I  wasn't expecting too too much, just another city in Europe.. but I'm full on falling in Love with it! As soon as I got off the plane, there were mountains within eyesight!  And if you know me, you know that mountains are my most favorite thing ever! Not beach.. MOUNTAINS!!  I wasn't expecting this getting off the plane so it was a very exciting moment for me:)  After we took the bus from the airport into the city, we headed toward the hostel.  Our room is a 16 all girl dorm, and it's awesome! There are drapes along side the beds that we can close for privacy and to keep light out when we're ready for bed!  Also, there is a reading light in my little nook AND an outlet! It feels soo mine!  Which is very nice, because I've been so used to sharing space, it's nice to have my own, even if it's for 2 months. I'll take a photo and post it in this entry later. Also, this hostel is especially sweet not just because of my little nook, but because of the location: right in the city center!  I walk out the front and I'm right where I want to be!

After unpacking and settling in, we headed out for food and to walk around the city!  If there was a place that I could guarantee someone getting culture shock.. it would be Barcelona!  This place is soo full of different cultures, languages, and people, it took a minute for me to take it all in!  When I think about today and all I've done, it really isn't that much except having walked around!  We walked Las Ramblas, went to the Gothic area of the city, and I went to mass at the Cathedral (which I talked about in my last entry).

Walking the Ramblas was incredible, I've never been surrounded by soo many different languages and soo many people all at once! Maybe it's because I'm not used to a big city like New York City or Chicago, or like any city in Europe lol, but there are SOO MANY PEOPLE!!! Everywhere!  At all times of the day! It's insane.. and a bit intense! 

The streets, the buildings, the architecture.. It took a little bit for me to take it all in.. And now.. I LOVE IT! It is absolutely beautiful, there are terraces, close buildings full of flats and porches, plants on the porches, cars can't drive down a lot of the streets because they are so narrow, there're cobblestone streets, cafes everywhere, little restaurants, people, soo many diverse people and cultures.. it is wonderful. I literally felt like it couldn't be real. Like I was in a movie.. or at least on a movie set.. I remember at one point I said to Leslie, "this can't be real."

I took pictures on my phone.. But for some reason I can't find them:( they aren't in my gallery.. but they are uploaded on Google plus.. I'll take more tomorrow, and upload them in this entry asap!

Oooh I am soo excited to experience more of this city... I love it soo much!

Updates/Comments/Concerns:
I love traveling.. but mann do I miss Spotify!
I left my sunnies in Ibiza:(  (probably one of my saddest moments so far).. luckily there are quite a few places that sell some good ones for only 5 euros.
My knee Still hurts. I'm thinking it's bruised.
Really regretting my lack of Spanish speaking skills now.. Hah but ya know.. they're not lying when they say many people can speak English.. & it's awesome when you have a French, Italian, American, & Brazilian all able to speak to one another through a universal language. I just hate not knowing all languages because I want to be able to communicate with everyone!
& lastly.. I take that back about leaving my sun glasses in Ibiza being my saddest moment yet.. it was definitely when my Nalgene lid broke:(

All in all though.. I can't complain.. those are just things.

OH! I almost forgot to mention!  I found Casa Miranda!!  I was pretty dang pumped about that one... Picture below:)









2 comments:

  1. Miranda, I love your travels. Barcelona is still one of my favorite cities as well. Have fun and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I will Still try to make it up to see you.. but with the expense.. I just don't know.

      Delete