Thursday, April 25, 2013

Cat Ba Island back to Hanoi:

Well this whole experience was entirely local;
me being the only Westerner..

It was soo much fun!! 

It was a Sunday night so the bus ferry and next 2 buses (wasn't expecting the plural) were crowded! 
Here's the story:

I started by getting picked up by a bus from a travel agent along the bay in Cat Ba about an hour after saying goodbye to everyone. Mann, I passed out on that thing! It was about 30 minutes to the ferry, and all of a sudden I'm waking up and we're already there.

When it was time to get on the ferry, it was kind of a bit of a free for all.. I wasn't sure what the process was, so I figured I'd just wait a little back and go with the flow.. that's what you've got to do out here.. patience. Well, all of a sudden the people all started going and getting on the boat; motorbikes, individuals, and then me!  The guy didn't even really check my ticket.. I guess I already overpay soo much that after the first bus, it's all trusting I have a ticket when they ask rather than me showing it to them. Lol.

The inside filled up by the time I got on, and I wasn't sure what to do Hah.. there were people inside, motorbikes on the back, and some people standing.. then there was me, the only Westerner, standing the were, in the way with my backpack on, not really knowing what to do lol.  Then a guy handed me a plastic stool.. so I took off my bag and sat right down. 

When the boat arrived, there was only one bus sitting there.. I went up to the girl next to other and said, "Hanoi?" She shook her head yes and then pointed for me to get on.

Well.. I ended up in Haiphong. Hah! But, they were expecting me.. or rather, one girl was expecting me.. I think. The bus driver saw me as he dropped me off..

Note: where they dropped me was on a random street in the middle of this city.. it's soo funny not knowing what the hell is going on, and just having to go with the flow and trust the system and people placed in front of you..

Anyway, when I got off of the bus in Haiphong, there was a girl that asked me if I was going to Hanoi. I said yeah, and she told me the bus would be there in a little bit. Surprisingly she spoke English! Which was quite a bit of a comfort to this all local, no English, transport day. Not that there's anything wrong with locals, but it's always nice when there's someone there who has equally no idea what is going on either, and who you can understand. Fortunately, after being on Cat Ba island, I didn't feel at all uncomfortable with this day, maybe it's because of my new local friends, I'm not sure... Or maybe it's because I'm finally truly used to Asia, to the point where it's normal to me now. 

I got chatting with this girl in Haiphong though, she sells postcards to tourists for a living (hence the reason she was probably there when I got off), I don't think she works for the bus company at all, I just think she knows where the buses might drop off potential buyers. After telling her, and showing her that I had enough postcards, we just chatted, and I got a coffee. I was only a little bit finished with it, when this guy came up on a motorbike and said something to the girl. Then she told me that the bus wasn't coming down this street, so he would take me to it. She got me a to-go cup and I hopped on the back of the bike (mum don't worry, he had the bus company name on his shirt, I wasn't getting on the moto with a random dude some chick told me to get on with - though, I probably would)..

So there I am.. backpack on, coffee in one hand, paintings, and a big water in the other, not holding on at all.. problem?  I think not.. I'm a pro by now. Also, the girl told him to go slow after seeing me and laughing to herself at how I looked lol.  He did well; no big issues, no small issues, no issues at all.

Then we arrived to the street where the bus was driving verrryyyy sloowwly down.. this is how I knew it was another all local bus. What they do is, they drive slowly through an area or city trying to fill it up with people.. so that it's not an empty seated waste. People get off early or on halfway through.. so seats are always opening up for more people to get on. Once the seats fill up, they have wood planks they bring out to put between the seats, in the isle. This is how they get the most money.  By letting people flag them down on the road, charge them based on the distance, and get off when they ask to stop.. as long as it's on the way of course. Though it is a good system for money, it makes for a bit longer of a journey than planned.

On the bus it was me and the Vietnamese. I loved it.. I just had my headphones on, leaned back, and dozed off. All of a sudden, it got really cold, I woke up and the man next to me was trying to get some air, then he said something in English to me! Then he asked me where I was from, and a 2 hour conversation for the rest of the bus ride came of it!  It was sooo incredibly nice yo have someone to chat with, especially a local! & on an all local bus! ..where I figured I'd be in my own little world the whole time.

We finally reached Hanoi around 8pm or so.. I bartered a moto ride down to 30,000 from 70,000, because the man on the bus told me to try for 25,000. Wooh!  Success!

When I arrived back at Hanoi Backpackers Hostel, I saw Ally at the front desk, I hear my name called by Kate, who I've been constantly running into all throughout Vietnam, and as I looked around I saw tons of people I met throughout my time in Nam and Cambodia!  It was so awesome! Then as I was checking in Kate came over and greeted me with a big hug and a beer on the counter right in front of me!  What an entrance.. Between all this and my local travel experience and seeing everyone and just being in a city I knew my way around in, and love, I felt soo high on life!!  Every moment in the past few days have just been soo perfect.

*It was a moment for sure (if you've been following my blog, you'll understand what that means)*

After that I was just soo pumped and excited. And on top of it all, Rich, who I met about 2 months ago in Malaysia, was in Hanoi too!  It was such a great night. Met soo many people, and just had an amazing time. 

It was also perfect timing, because they were all going on tours of Halong Bay the next day. So it was really nice to see everyone, one last time, before we separated for good.  :( 

It was hard saying bye to Ally and Kate, but this is what happens while travelling.  You meet great people, who you get on with well, and at some point it has to be time to say goodbye.  But you don't ever have to say goodbye to the memories and the relationships made.

People come in and out of our lives at times we need them, and many teach us something, though some may not.  Some make lasting impressions, some not so much, some are just people who you may need at the time, but won't be with forever.. None of this is either good or bad though, it's just the way it is. Life. & embracing everyone, no matter who they are, and every moment, no matter what it is, is how you you truly live, and don't miss it.

It's quite beautiful, I think.
How it all works.

<3 M




No comments:

Post a Comment