Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas in Salzburg; Mass and a whole bunch of good people

Midnight mass was absolutely beautiful. We got to the Dom Cathedral, the biggest Cathedral in the city center around 10pm to ensure we would get seats, and the mass started at 11:30. They played music after letting us in at 11:00; there was a choir, the organ, and a whole group of musicians in the back of the church to provide absolutely beautiful music throughout the entire mass.

After it was over, the priest gave a blessing, and went to turn and leave. He stopped after bowing to the alter and all the lights started to turn off. The only ones left on were the ones on the Christmas tree and a candle lit by one of the mini organ balconies in the front of the church. I noticed 3 men by the candle and one had an acoustic guitar.

They started playing silent night.. it was beautiful. The history of the song is that years ago mice chewed through the cords of the organs on the Eve of Christmas, not too far from Salzburg. And so 3 men played the song via acoustic guitar. This is what made this moment at the end of Christmas Mass so wonderful, and the situation all together of course.  I will say though, I am excited to go to an English speaking mass again whenever I come home.

Afterward, we headed to Louie's (the friend I'm staying with here) dad's house.

Let me take a quick second to explain who all is here. All of them are from Put-In-Bay or the area, and grew up together, same high school, island, etc... One couple was the Zimmerman's, who consisted of Jack and Loraine, both insanely hilarious, caring, and down to earth. The other family was the Krueger's, Chris and Carl were the parents, and Jess & Miranda were their girls. Everyone, right from the beginning, were just incredibly great and nice people.

We opened gifts after mass and then after a small while headed back to the school (where I was staying with Louie) and the Kruegers were just across the street in a bed and breakfast. Jack and Loraine were staying with Joe.

On Christmas morning, we had breakfast together at the school, and then headed out to Joe's house for the rest of the day. They all opened and exchanged presents, I even got some! Thanks again Jack, Loraine, and Joe! :) I'm soo blessed. Joe also has been learning ukulele for the past few months and played for us, which was awesome!  And he was so good for only just learning! After we went back to the school, we watched the Sound of Music together through the projector in the library. It was perfect.

I mentioned before how I'm soo blessed, we all are.. but me especially.. technology blessed me this Christmas, because I got to call and talk to my mum's side of the family on Christmas Eve AND my dad's side on Christmas Day!  Calling my cousin was a surprise.. he had no idea it was me and he almost didn't pick up!  They passed around the phone and I got to talk to all my cousins, mum and sister! My aunt Dianne made me promise to never be gone for another Christmas and my mum cried at the end.. and then I did too. :) Soo much love.  The next night I called my dad's side and got to talk to all of them too! Aunts, uncle's and cousins!  And then I found out that they made a flat Miranda; they printed off a photo of me, glued it to a popsicle stick, and took many photos!  It was hilarious once I saw the photos. And I was definitely still there in spirit!

Hahaha I love my family!

Christmas was not the same, without my family.. I kept thinking, if there was a time I could apparate (hp) it would be those two days.. and then come right back. But just because it wasn't what I was used to, didn't mean it was bad at all, it was hard not being home, but still so good here with family and friends in Austria.  :)

Definitely had a good Christmas:)

<3 M






No comments:

Post a Comment